Public School

Photo by Santiago Gomez on Unsplash

Who Needs to Withdraw?

If you decide to begin homeschooling during the school year and your child is currently enrolled in a public or private school, you will need to formally withdraw your child from that school. Additionally, if you plan to start homeschooling after the school year is over, and your child is considered enrolled for the following year, we recommend that you withdraw your child before the next school year begins, so that your child is not marked as absent or truant.

We also recommend you to become a member of Homeschool Legal Defense Association (HSLDA.org). In doing so, you will receive specific advice about withdrawing your child from school and starting to homeschool. Local schools may have specific forms or withdrawal procedures. HSLDA members are eligible to receive individualized advice about whether complying with those procedures is advisable or required.

Note: If your child has never attended a public or private school, this section does not apply.

In addition to filing your letter of intent, you may need to submit a notice of withdrawal from public school to your local school district if:

  • it's a new school year and your child attended public school last year
  • the current school year is in session and your child is attending public school

We've made it easy for you to submit your letter of withdrawal! Simply click the button below, fill out the Google form, and a complete letter will be delivered to your inbox!


Photo by kyo azuma on Unsplash

Join our Homeschool Neighborhood for support and community!